Slab leaks or concrete leaks are normally a minute rupture in the copper pipes that are present under the concrete base of your home. If not managed on time, such leaks will cause serious health problems for occupants and eventually degrade your house structure.
You should pay good attention to leak detection under your concrete slab to avoid a potential plumbing issue that can cause a severe damage to your property. Although there are numerous signs for leak detection under the concrete slab, it’s important to learn the specific factors in order to perceive the exact source.
What Causes a Slab Leak?
Your plumbing could form a leak beneath a concrete slab due to many reasons. Few of the most common factors are:
- Pipe degradation due to friction with nearby pipes, concrete, or gravel
- Pipe corrosion
- Poorly installed or inferior quality pipes, due to poor construction
- High water pressure
- Pipe rupture due to movement or settling slab
What are the Consequences of Slab Leaks?
In order to understand why slab leaks can be unsafe for your home, you should be well aware of the reasons for the leaks and how to detect one. Following are some dangerous consequences of slab leaks:
- Weaken the foundation of your entire home.
- Health problems like upper tract respiratory disorders.
- Soaked carpets and damaged flooring.
- Damage to your yard.
- Unpleasant odor
How Can You Detect a Concrete Slab Leak?
Here are 5 major tips for leak detection under your concrete slab so to prevent any further damage:
- Audible running water sound, despite all water faucets being turned off
- Moving or spinning leak detector, despite the absence of any water movement in the indoor or outdoor of your home
- Visible wall or flooring cracks
- Mildew or detectable moisture beneath carpets or flooring
- Abnormally increased water bills
With the above tips, leak detection under the concrete slab in your home, should not pose much problem. You can seek professional plumbing services in case you discover any slab leakage signs in your home, for timely and urgent resolution.